The history of Duane's House of Pizza dates back to 1959. In June, 1959 Duane Schultz answered an ad for manager of a new pizza restaurant opening in Moorhead, MN called House of Pizza.
Owner John Langhousen from Hibbing, MN hired Duane to be his manager of the new restaurant located at 310 Center Avenue in Moorhead. Duane ran the business for John until 1969 when he purchased the restaurant from John. He then changed the name from House of Pizza to Duane's House of Pizza.
In May of 1975, Duane purchased a building at 1629 South University Drive in Fargo, ND. In June of 1975, Duane opened his second Fargo-Moorhead restaurant at that location. In June of 1983, Duane moved his Moorhead restaurant to 1024 Center Avenue.